Monday, September 22, 2014

Creative Birthday Parties - Part 2

As promised, here is the second edition of creative birthday parties.

EG's second birthday party had a Curious George theme, with yellow, red and aqua accents.  CG had become quite a thing in our house, so it only seemed appropriate to use it as our theme.  The weather, once again, came through for us and cleared up just as the party was about to start.  So we were able to take advantage of our extra outdoor square footage.

I made the banner half the size of the previous year's banner.  It was still big, but it fit into an indoor space.


I took on the task of making the cake for her second birthday.  I went with a banana theme and tried out several banana cake recipes (using EOP's associate's as taste testers) before finalizing the cake.  I made a banana oatmeal cake with cream cheese frosting. 


 I also made banana chocolate chip cupcakes with buttercream frosting.

 
I had to buy plates AND napkins for this party, but we still had plenty of plastic forks from our wedding to use.
 

Internet clip art to the rescue again.  The 2nd Curious George movie became the main clip art used.  How could you go wrong with George holding a 2 for a second birthday party?  I used it for the invitations and stickers again

I also made little signs for each food item at the party.  We had Chef Pisghetti's Pizza, Farmer Renkin's Vegetables, Clint Quint's Fish Crackers (the Quints love fish crackers, mmm, mmm), and Curious George's Banana Cake. 


The candy dishes were decorated using ribbon scraps to give them some color.  The party favors were dollar store Curious George coloring books.
 
 
We decorated with yellow polka dot and turquoise balloons and red polka dot wrapping paper table covers.  We also displayed her Curious George books and George himself (from the Kohl's Cares collection), around the house.
 
 

 
 My one stroke of genius, unassisted by Pinterest, was the Pin the Yellow Hat on the Man game.  I traced him onto cardstock from our television displaying an image from my computer.  It is not easy to find an image of the Man without his hat on!  And let me tell you, this distressed our 2 year old to no end.  The whole time I was tracing him, she kept saying "Uh Oh" and "No Hat Mama!"  But she did enjoy placing and re-placing his hat on him after the game was played.

 
Can't wait to post about this year's party!
 

1 comment:

  1. We love CG here too! You are a party planner extraordinaire, Chris! What a treat to spend time with your family this past weekend:)

    ReplyDelete