Wednesday, September 10, 2014

(Not-So) Speedy Delivery

I have a list of easy meals to make for mom's of new babies in my head, but by far my favorite is chicken and sweet potato stew.  I found this recipe in a little freebie Crock-Pot cookbook several years ago and it's always a hit.  Since the weather has turned more "fall-like" (actually more spring-like with all this rain), I thought it would be a great meal for Holly and her family.  Best of all, we get to eat it for dinner tonight too! 



I am pairing it with a loaf of French bread - from the Meijer bakery - and a dessert of some sort.  I, of course forgot to think about dessert until this morning, and seeing as I've been very delinquent in keeping the staples in stock in our home lately, my options are limited.  I thought about making no-bakes, easy peasy, but not enough oats in the house.  It seemed that everything I thought about making had oats in it - BUST! 

So then I decided to make a chocolate cookie cake and I was successful at getting it baked, but things got tricky when I tried to transfer it to another pan to cool.  It fell apart so, so, so many times.  It wasn't fully cooked in the center, it seems. 




Since this family is also a fan of Daniel Tiger, I thought about making it a chocolate chip cookie smoosh cake, but I changed my mind after it broke for the umpteenth time.  When something seems bad, turn it around and find something good (getting to eat all of the messed up desserts is good!)


So, plan B (or C or D) it is! 

Brownies.  Good old Trader Joe's boxed Truffle brownies.  With pink frosting, because of the baby girl.


Here we go to deliver the meal!


Here is the recipe for Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed (I use unpealed red potatoes sometimes)
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 can (28 oz) whole stewed tomatoes (I use diced instead)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup nonfat, low-sodium chicken broth

Combine all ingredients in a slow-cooker.  Cover.  Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.  Stew is done when root vegetables are desired tenderness, at that point chicken should be completely cooked.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the idea, Chris! I saved it to my bookmarks so I'll have an easy stew idea for us and for friends:)

    ReplyDelete