Friday, August 8, 2014

A Dish to Pass Did Not Mean Dessert - Oops

So it turns out I was supposed to bring something other than a dessert to our dinner party.  I found out after I posted my blog, but after Kelley read the post, I was given a pass since the dessert sounded so yummy.  However, I volunteered to bring another dish to make up for it.

I've been craving Black Bean and Mango Salad, EOP calls it Black Bean and Mango Salsa, which is a yummy summer treat for us.  I don't know why I only make it in summer, maybe because it's a cold salad and they always sound better in the summer.  Any-who, every summer I refresh my memory on how to make it by looking up similar recipes on the web, mostly for proportions, and then adapting them to my taste.  So this post is as much for me as it is for you because I won't have to scour the web to find a recipe.

Here is my ingredient list for a double batch:

 

2 cans black beans
2 mangos
1/2 large red onion (or to taste)
2 red bell peppers
the juice from 2 limes
1 bunch cilantro
2 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

I have this handy, dandy, little tool that I found on Clearance at Meijer for pitting mangos.  I've heard others say they didn't like it, but I use it every time I cut a mango.


 
After it is pitted, I crosscut the flesh in the peel and then flip the peel out and cut the flesh out of the peel (I didn't have enough hands to take that picture).  Then I cut what I can from the pit section and enjoy the rest as a treat.

Then I chop up the onion, red pepper and cilantro, add the beans, mango, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Mix together and chill for 4 hours or overnight.

 
It tastes great as a side dish, but EOP calls it Salsa because it tastes delicious with tortilla chips too!

1 comment: