Saturday, August 9, 2014

Easy One Evening Sewing Project

I've been waiting to post this until a friend had her baby, so that I didn't ruin the surprise of this little gem.


Welcome to the world, baby C.  You are a super cute baby and you and your mama will rock her new diaper bag!
 
I've been making this diaper bag for baby shower gifts since I found the pattern in Simple Sewing for Baby by Lotta Jansdotter while I was pregnant.  I made one for us and we used it so much, we wore it out.  It's fun to pick out fabrics that fit the personality of the mom.  Hobby Lobby has so many cute fabrics, I always have a hard time narrowing down to 2!  Then I get to pick out a cute button to match the whole ensemble.  This one is one my very very favorites so far.  I found these awesome sparkly pink buttons and I can't wait to use them again!
 
I have the material to make another bag, simply because I could not walk out of the store without buying this material.  It was calling to me - MAKE A BAG OUT OF ME, PLEASE! 
 
I know!  Cute, right?
 

Since this bag pattern and directions are already in the book, I will only show you the pictures of how I made it and the modifications/short cuts to the original pattern that I have made.
 
1.  The bag can be made from 1 yard of fabric.  I think that with one kind of fabric, the measurements can be done in a way to follow the selvedge correctly.  However, I always like to use 2 complimentary fabrics, one for the body, one for the pocket.  I'm not sure that I am always following the selvedge rules correctly because I usually buy 1/4 yard of the pocket fabric and 3/4 yard of the body fabric.  I haven't had any problems with them yet, so I don't think it's a super big deal for this project.
 
I usually try to cut like pieces at the same time but folding the fabric in 1/2 and measuring once, cutting through 2 layers.
 
 
2.  I have added an inside pocket to the original pattern that only has an outside pocket.  This is part of the reason I don't always follow the selvedge rules.  I made the inside and outside pockets the same size this time so that I could fold the fabric in half and cut both at once.  The inside pocket is sewn on a little higher on the back of the inside and divided into 3 pockets instead of 2.  That means the inside pocket needs a finished edge on the top and bottom before sewing to the body piece (the outside pocket matches with the raw edges on 3 sides).
 
  The trickiest parts is to make sure that you pin the 2 body layers together so that the pockets are both facing the same direction.  As a rule of thumb, the bottom of the inside pocket should be on the same end as the raw edge bottom of the outside pocket.  Seems simple enough, but it always trips me up.
 




3.  I always make the strap 2 inches longer too, just because I find it more comfortable.
 
 
4.  I decided to use another pink sparkly button for this one and some mustard yellow grow grain ribbon that I had laying around.  I usually cut my ribbon 1 inch longer than the recommended length. 
 
 
About 2 hours later, here's the finished product!  I hope the next person, who loves owls, and that invites me to a baby shower loves it too! 
 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment