Sunday, August 24, 2014

Celebrating Love's Patience


Love is patient.  This was a perfect theme for the wedding we attended this weekend.  It was a great weekend of celebration and such a blessing to be a part of.

I have known Suzanne since college.  We were in Intervarsity Christian Fellowship together during school.  She became staff for IV after college and I started volunteering with IV.  She is the kind of friend who, no matter how long it has been, is so easy to talk to and have fun with.  We share a love for football, especially our alma mater, and pizza.


We also shared a similar struggle after graduation, being single in a post collegiate world.  We both talked about being a single girl in our twenties, late twenties, turning 30 and being single, in our mid-thirties...

I got married in 2010 and Suzanne was there.  Celebrating with me, wearing the latte dress with the persimmon belt that I asked her to wear, carrying the fall flower bouquet that I made for her while she helped "process" the rest of the flowers for my wedding.

In March, Suzanne came to my birthday party, and she brought a date (!!!).  A very nice gentleman that I didn't really get to talk to, but EOP did and thought he was cool.  Then we met for lunch in April and I asked her how things were going with Nathan and she said great (!!!), like late summer wedding great.  A week later, she sent me a text with a picture of her new engagement ring (!!!).  The date was set for August, a short 4 months away (yay for short engagements).  Late summer wedding it is!

I was so honored that she asked me to help her out with her wedding by handling her flowers and coordinating the ceremony logistics (helping out with gathering people for photos, pinning corsages on people, running errands, cueing people's entrances).  I was also so excited to return the love that she had given me when I was getting married (and all of our friendship before and after).  We talked details and I ordered what we needed.  The wedding colors, turquoise and coral, were so bright and cheery, I was so excited to see the final product!

The fun began last weekend when I stayed at her house for the bachelorette party.  On Sunday, we worked on some wedding projects, including custom color M&M favors and chalkboard table numbers.  Since I was on a roll with chalk boards, I volunteered to handle those.


They looked so awesome nestled in the hydrangea centerpieces.  The only thing that would have been better is if my fine tip pens (both of them) did not quit working at the same time, right around number 9.
 

On Thursday, I picked up all of the flowers for the wedding from my favorite farmer's market in Lansing, Horrock's.  I have been ordering flowers from them for about 15 years, so we have a great relationship.  Plus they have a great selection of cut flowers to choose from.  We used white hydrangeas at the reception and an assortment of orange and pink flowers in the bouquets.  I ordered the extra flowers, like the corsages and the dad's boutonniere, from them too.  I am not a huge fan of making corsages, they are tricky.



The bride carried a hand-tied bouquet of peach roses, free spirit roses (such an amazingly fragrant and lovely flower), coral spray roses, orange waxflower, and peach and orange hypericum berries.  The stems were wrapped in aqua ribbon.  The maids carried hand-tied bouquets of the same, without the waxflower and with pink spray roses added, and the stems were wrapped in orange ribbon.


The orange flowers popped so well against the turquoise bridesmaids dresses.  Such a beautiful wedding color combination.  Beautiful bride, beautiful maids, beautiful day.

 
Congratulations Nathan and Suzanne, your wedding was beautiful and the party was super fun!  May God bless your marriage and future together.  I'm looking forward to our October football game with pizza after!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment