Sunday, August 17, 2014

Babies and Bachelorettes

Oh what a busy weekend it has been!  I've been anticipating the fun that we would have this weekend for a while and I'm so excited to finally be able to post about it!
 
EOP's brother and his wife are expecting a new baby.  As is the trend these days, they had a gender reveal party to find out if they were having a boy or a girl.  I was double booked for Saturday (the day of the party), so I was given the task of setting up the reveal surprise.  I was given some guidelines, ideas and a sealed envelope with the gender of the baby written inside.  It was really fun to be the only one who knew what the gender was for a whole week, but also very tricky because I had to constantly watch my words.
 
First I had to find a box, big enough to hold a dozen or so balloons (pinks or blues).  Local Home Depot to the rescue.  I got a gigantic outdoor furniture set box from their recycle center, a little beat up and missing the top, but just about what I was looking for.  I took it home and reassembled it as best I could.  It was still too tall, so I scored the sides at the 3' mark and folded it down to make a new bottom of the box, flipped it over to make the old bottom the new top.  Then I covered the whole box with brown craft paper.
 
Next was to make a sign for the outside front.  Enter more of the chalk board vinyl, cut into a heart shape.  Then to draw the sign, I purchased some permanent chalk markers from Target.  A lot of fretting and checking Pinterest for ideas, and voila, this is what the final product looked like!
 

I then added some ties to the top of the box to hold it closed during transport and to keep curious eyes from getting an early peek at the results.  Here is the final box all ready to go!


What I quickly realized was that I needed a partner in crime.  An uninterested third party, if you will, to help me take the box out of the back of the van, load the balloons in it, and load the box back into the van.  Enter my friend Lynn.  I'm so thankful that she was free to help me out because it was quite a task!

 
Who knew finding balloons could be so tricky?  After going to 3 different stores for balloons, we finally found what we were looking for.  We threw a few balloons in the bottom of the box, filled with conventional air, for the kids to play with after the balloon launch and then stuffed 10 helium balloons into the box and closed the lid.
 
The party timing worked out so that I was able to be there to take photos of the reveal!  We first voted on what they were going to have.  Most people thought the baby would be a boy (8 for boys and 6 for girls), but both parents thought it was going to be a girl!  Then they opened the box and found out that... 
 
 
 

... they are having a girl! We are all so excited to meet little baby L later this year!



 

 
 
Then I was off to event #2, my friend Suzanne's bachelorette party!  She is getting married next weekend and we are so excited for her!


 

 
  What a fun day/night of celebration of God's goodness.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment